So you've done your gas training course, passed your ACS assessments, joined the Gas Safe Register and are now starting life as a self-employed gas engineer. Are you prepared for the day-to-day tasks of managing your own business that weren't covered in the course? Well, the Register is here to help make life a little easier for you. To mark its fifth year as the UK's official gas registration body, it has launched a brand new app for iPhone and Android devices.
Titled the "Gas Engineer Workspace", this app is designed to help self-employed engineers and small businesses manage their everyday workload. The tasks it can perform include;
- Managing day-to-day jobs with an easy to use calendar that shows when and where jobs are.
- Logging customer contact details, including addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
- Setting reminds for scheduled work to help manage time.
- The ability to contact customers directly from the app, along with being able to send them a reminder for any upcoming jobs.
While on the surface this might not sound like a lot, it certainly straightens out the mangerial side of running your own business and seems to be something many gas engineers have been after for a while. The Gas Safe Register's chief executive Russel Kramer has also stated that more functions are planned to be added to the app over the next few months, including a range of calculation tools for pipe sizing and venting calculation.
The app is now available for free on both the App store and Google Play, and can be found by searching "gas engineer workspace". Once the app is downloaded, users will be invited to login with their Gas Safe Register user ID/license card and password.
In an interesting attempt to make the life of a tradesman easier, Installer Online have come up with an interesting new iPhone app that may just lighten your toolkit somewhat and make sure you're never without some important tools.
The free app is named InstallerTOOLBOX and has been developed "provide a range of functions that will make every day - and every installation - that little bit more straightforward." It incoporates a number of things that are essential to your job and keeps them all within your phone, meaning they'll be in your pocket at all times!
Altogether the app includes:
- A TORCH for when you need that extra bit of light dealing with pipes under the sink or rummaging around in boiler cupboards. It features three brightness settings to give you maximum visibility.
- A quick, easy and above all accurate SPIRIT LEVEL that "measures down to 0.1° to ensure that it is more than just a gimmicky add-on". It can also switch between horizontal and vertical settings.
- A UNIT CONVERTER that covers everything from temperature to velocity so that you don't have to make any rough calculations in your head or require a pocket conversion guide. All you need to do is enter the amount and choose what units you want it in.
- Finally, every tradesman loses a pen once in a while so here you can do away with pen and paper for good with the JOB SHEET. With this you can make notes, jot down job specs, prepare invoices and more! It also allows you to build you a record of every project you complete, including photo attachments. These are saved to the app and can be emailed out to colleagues, customers and whoever else may need them.
Sound like your ideal piece of kit? As mentioned earlier InstallerTOOLBOX is a completely free
iPhone (sorry Android users) app and can be downloaded from the Apple App Store