You don’t always need to have gone through expert plumbing training to fix some of the plumbing problems around your place. Plumbing is one of the final frontiers of DIY because, should anything go wrong, it can end up in a big, soggy and expensive mess. In many cases you are better off enrolling on plumbing training courses, or finding an expert with the right plumbing training, but there are some small DIY plumbing tasks which are safe and relatively easy for you to carry out around the house.
Before we begin, bear in mind that there are some jobs that only plumbers with the correct plumbing training should carry out. If you are keen on DIY there are loads of plumbing training courses around that you can enroll on to qualify you to deal with things like plumbing problems which are within a wall, close to electricity or to sockets. If you haven’t had plumbing training, these problems should be left to someone who has.
One of the most common and fixable problems, even if you do not have plumbing training, are problems around the kitchen sink. A blocked drain or leaking pipesare two problems which you do not need plumbing training or specialist tools to deal with. Here’s how to deal with a blockage.
- Check under your sink and take a look at the U bend.
- Once you have located the U bend, next locate your bucket! It is important to have a bucket on hand whether you have plumbing training or not, as blocked sink water all over the place is no fun for anybody.
- Unscrew your U bend. If your U bend is plastic you should be able to simply unscrew it. If you have a rubber U bend you may need to use a screwdriver or spanner to get it off.
- Check your U bend for obstructions, often this will just be a build-up of fat and/or food.
- Once you have located the obstruction, just remove it and replace your U bend, ensuring that it is securely fastened.
This is one very basic plumbing task which you can complete without undergoing plumbing training. If you are interested in learning about plumbing, and want to learn to do more, enrolling on a plumbing training course is a great way to find out more and add to your skillset. Many people often find that plumbing training courses open up a whole new career to them! If you are happy as a layman and want more online DIY plumbing training, check back here next week when we’ll be giving plumbing training to show you how to fix leaking pipes.
Access Training are plumbing training specialists and offer a huge range of courses across the country, for all levels of ability. Access plumbing training is flexible and practical and, best of all, all Access Training courses will get you an official City & Guilds approved qualification once completed. For more information about plumbing training browse our website or call our friendly team on 0800 345 7492 now!