Gas engineers are among the most in-demand tradespeople of all, and if you're willing to put in the work necessary to get certified and join the Gas Safe Register, you'll be able to do all sorts of jobs that less-qualified workers are unable to tackle.
With that in mind, it's easy to see why gas courses are such a popular choice amongst people who are looking to change careers. But is a gas course the right choice for you? And are gas training programmes really worth the price tag?
Benefits of training to be a gas engineer
- Take advantage of the skills shortage. The UK is currently experiencing a shortage of skilled tradespeople, and our forthcoming departure from the European Union is expected to exacerbate the situation still further. However, this is actually very good news for you if you're considering quitting your current job and learning a trade instead - as a newly-qualified gas engineer, you should have no shortage of lucrative jobs to take on.
- Work on a wide range of appliances. Gas engineers don't just fix boilers. Once you're on the Gas Safe Register, you'll potentially be called upon to fix everything from ovens to hobs to fireplaces. If you're also qualified as a plumber (gas and plumbing qualifications often go hand-in-hand), you can also add sinks, showers, toilets and bathtubs to that list. This should mean that your days are both busy and enjoyably varied.
- Make lots of money! According to totaljobs.com, the average salary for a gas engineer in the UK is in excess of £32,000. That's a very appealing pay packet indeed, especially when the work itself is so rewarding and enjoyable.
Of course, it does cost money (usually several thousand pounds, also this can vary) to train as a gas engineer, but as we think you'll agree, the pros above are well worth that initial expense.
Gas courses from Access Training
If you're ready to begin your new career path, you'll be pleased to learn that we offer a comprehensive range of gas engineer training courses here at Access Training Academies. Our training packages are affordable and great value for money; furthermore, we offer flexible payment plans and finance options across all of our courses.
Click the links below to find out more about each training course:
No matter what trade you'd like to learn, please contact Access Training today to find out how we can help you to achieve your career ambitions!
If you're a budding gas engineer, you'll need ensure that you undergo an ACS assessment to obtain the qualifications you require to join the Gas Safe Register; an obligation for all UK installers. This ACS certification demonstrates a level of competence necessary to become Gas Safe registered. Qualified installers will also have to renew their qualifications periodically in order to remain on the register, and to ensure that they are following the latest regulations.
Here at Access Training we provide a number of courses that include an ACS certification, allowing Gas Engineers to practice their trade safely and responsibly. This accreditation can be completed as a stand-alone qualification or as part of our full gas training packages, simply select your required assessment format from the range of options below:
Separate ACS Certifications:
This assessment package is able to offer you a choice of the following:
- Initial CCN1 only
- Initial CCN1 + 1 appliance
- Initial CCN1 + 2-4 appliances
If you're an experienced installer looking to renew your qualifications, we will be able to offer you a range of reassessment packages from the following:
- CCN 1/CPA 1: Core gas safety - Up to 5 days
- CCN 1+4: Core sas safety + 4 appliances (inc CPA1) - Up to 5 days
- CENWAT 1: Central heating boilers - Maximum 1 day
- CKR 1: Domestic cookers - Maximum 1 day
- HTR 1: Gas fires and wall heaters - Maximum 1 day
- MET 1: Meters - Maximum 1 day
Full Gas Training Packages:
This bespoke course allows you to gain the skills and knowledge required to become a professional gas engineer, providing you with opportunities to train in areas including ventilation, appliances, safety legislation, and more! It also includes a guaranteed work placement opportunity, providing you with first-hand experience of the industry and a competitive advantage upon entering the industry.
This advanced course provides candidates with a thorough knowledge of gas work and theory, while also including electrical wiring and circuit training for the installation of power for gas boilers, along with other similar tasks. As part of this course, you will gain recognized qualifications in both gas and electrical work, allowing you to complete a wider range of operations on completion of the course.
This course is ideal for beginners who wish to qualify as a professional plumber and heating engineer in a single course, providing candidates with all the essential qualifications required to enter the trade. Offering a combination of plumbing, gas and electrical accreditations, this programme is ideal for those hoping to seek a wide variety of work.
If you have any further questions about completing the ACS certification with us, or if you would like to find out more about our trade professional courses, please feel free to get in touch.
You can also keep up-to-date with the latest trade news by following us on Twitter